The Airport opened in 1930 as Grand Junction Municipal Airport, in 1942 the airport was renamed Walker Field Airport Authority for Walter Walker, a former publisher of The Daily Sentinel newspaper who helped obtain funds and business support for the airport. The airport and the airport authority was renamed on May 15, 2007 to Grand Junction Regional Airport. The Grand Junction Fire Department and the GJRA have an automatic-aid agreement that automatically dispatches the closest appropriate units to assist ARFF personnel for all emergencies at the airport. Grand Junction Fire Station 6 is the primary response station for the Grand Junction Regional Airport.
Grand Junction Regional Airport ARFF was originally named Walker Field Airport Authority (ARFF) Fire Department.
Grand Junction Regional Airport ARFF is dispatched by Grand Junction Regional Communication Center.