Des Moines Fire Department
Des Moines Fire Department (DMFD), covering 90 square miles in Polk & Warren Counties (Iowa) including Allen, Bloomfield, Capitol East, Capitol View South, Carpenter, Des Moines River, Drake, Drake Park, East Village, Evelyn Davis Park, Fairmont Park, Highland Park, Indianola Hills, Ingersoll Park, Jordan Park, McKinley, New Visions, River Bend, Sherman Hill & Union Park.
Des Moines Fire Department was organized in 1865 as the Hook & Ladder and reorganized as the Hawkeye Hose Company. Another company was formed in 1867 as the Rescue Hook & Ladder Company. In 1868, the City, having purchased a steam fire engine called “The General Crocker” for their use, again reorganized the Company and its old Hook and Ladder truck was turned over to a new organization known as the Excelsior Hook & Ladder Company, after which both organizations constituted one department under the name of Rescue No. 1. In 1870 a new Company known as the Fellowship Hose Company No. 2 was organized in East Des Moines. This was followed by the erection of Engine Houses on west Locust and on east Court Ave. between 6th and 7th Streets on the north side of the street, and the election of William Nafie as Chief. In 1870, three large cisterns were constructed at three strategic places in the City. The Steamer and the Hook and Ladder were kept in Stofford’s barn on W. 5th Ave. when not in use.
In 1871, the volunteer Fire Chief was paid $400.00 a year, with $50.00 a year paid to 25 volunteer firemen. On June 6th, 1873, a meeting was called by Chief Nafie at which another consolidation was effected under the name of the Hawkeye Hose & Ladder Company of Des Moines, which created a the new Fire Department having two divisions and embracing the entire City, with the Hawkeye Hose & Ladder Company constituting Division No. 1. This was authorized by City Ordinance. On June 16th, 1873, the organization of Division No. 2 was completed as the Fellowship Hose Company. The Fire Department seems to have functioned under this form of organization until the establishment of the paid Fire Department in February of 1883.
Station 1 – Downtown
*Station 2 – East Village
*Station 3 – Fairmont Park
*Station 4 – Evelyn Davis Park
Station 5 – Ingersoll Park
*Station 6 – South Central
*Station 7 – Highland Park
*Station 8 – South
*Station 9 – Northwest
*Station 10 – Bloomfield / Allen
*No Station Information at this time
If you want to help us update this department with photos or information, contact us here.