Mist-Birkenfeld Rural Fire Protection District (MBRFPD), covering 135 square miles in Columbus & Clatsop Counties (Oregon) including the areas of Big Eddy Park, Birkenfeld, Cedar Creek, Fishhawk Lake, Mist, Neverstill, Oak Ranch, Peterson, Sager & Sager Creek.
Mist-Birkenfeld Rural Fire Protection District was informally organized in 1952, and in 1956 a vote to create the Birkenfeld-Mist Rural Fire Department was held, the district levied taxes for that year but, due to a lack of participation or interest the department was dormant in 1978. In 1977 the Mist-Birkenfeld Quick Response Unit was formed.
In 1978 work was started to reorganization and in 1979 the fire protection district was officially reactivated with no fire station, no equipment and no personnel. The first fire engine received in August of 1979, a 1942 Ford that was on loan from the Elsie Vinemaple Rural Fire Protection District # 11 and stored in a hanger at Fred Busch’s home. The district covered 105 square miles, and in 1980 the new fire station was built and put into service, with a purchased of a 1956 American LaFrance engine from the Multnomah Fire District # 10. In 1982 the Mist-Birkenfeld Quick Response Unit joined the district. Additional information was provided by Mist-Birkenfeld Rural Fire Protection District.
Mist-Birkenfeld Rural Fire Protection District is dispatched by the Columbia 9-1-1 Communications District (C911CD).
Station 1 – Mist
Station 2 – Fishhawk Lake
Station 3 – Peterson
Station 4 – Burris
Station 5 – Sager
If you want to help us update this department with photos or information, contact us here.