Station 3 – Five Points
(District 2) Station 3 is located at 2500 N. Washington St. Station 3 has been in service since 1931, the only single bay house in the Denver Fire Department, and currently the oldest and smallest active Denver fire station. Station 3 was the first and only fire station in Denver to be staffed by all African American firefighters until the Department desegregated in 1958. Station 3 serves the Five Points and Curtis Park Neighborhoods.
2015 Pierce Velocity 500 gallon water tank / 1500 gpm pump.
Station 3 Historical Photos
On March 15, 1882 Hose Company 3 was placed in service at 2600 Curtis St. with Hook & Ladder 2. The Company remained in service there until January 12, 1885 when the new station was opened at 2563 Lincoln Avenue (now known as Glenarm Place) which is shown above. This building is located kitty-corner from the current Station 3. In 1888 a new Silsby Steam Engine was placed in service and was known as Steamer Company 3. Steamer Company 3 remained in service until March 13, 1892 when the Denver Fire Department founded its first and only company with all black firefighters. Until this time the Denver Fire Department only employed black firefighters as drivers for the chief officers. In 1921 Company 3 received its first motorized apparatus. The company was eventually known as a hose company, wagon company & engine company and in 1931 moved to the current quarters at 2500 Washington Street. In 1957 the department began racial integration and Station 3 was desegregated.
TRUCK No. 3
Shown here in 1974.
Shown here in the 1990’s.
CHIEF No. 3
ENGINE No. 3
1966 Mack C 300 gallon water tank / 500 gpm pump.
ENGINE No. 3
1973 American LaFrance Pacemaker 500 gallon water tank / 1500 gpm pump.
Engine 3 (E-59) 1980 Seagrave (PB-24068 / K-73975) 500 gallon water tank / 1250 gpm pump.
Engine 3 (E-13) 1990 Pierce Lance 500 gallon water tank / 1250 gpm pump. also ran as Pumper 3.
Shown here with the blue stripes added.
2002 Pierce Enforcer (13197-01) 500 gallon water tank / 1250 gpm pump.