South Bend Fire Department

South Bend Fire Department (SBFD), founded in 1893 and located in St. Joseph County including the areas of Ardmore, Council Oak, Crest Manor, Erskine Park, Ivy Tech, Keller Park, Kunstman, LaSalle Park, McKinley, Park Avenue, Pinhook, River Park, Rum Village, Scottdale, St. Joseph River, Studebaker National Museum, Twyckenham Hills, Wheelock & West Washington.

The areas first organized fire protection entity commenced operations on January 29th, 1853, twelve years before the incorporation of the city. The group consisted of unpaid volunteers in two companies. The Department grew to include three engines, three hose companies, and one hook and ladder and bucket company by 1868, and in 1887 became a full-time paid fire department. The Department continued to expand as South Bend grew, and by 1919, the department included sixty-seven men in twelve companies.

*Station 1 – Central
*Station 2 – Kunstman
Station 3 – McKinley
*Station 4 – Northwest
Station 5 – Rum Village
*Station 6 – LaSalle Park
*Station 7 – Keller Park
*Station 8 – Twyckenham Hills
Station 9 – River Park
*Station 10 – Crest Manor
*Station 11 – Wheellock
*No Station Information at this time
Facebook
Twitter
Official Site

If you want to help us update this department with photos or information, contact us here.