Portland Fire Department

Portland Fire Department (PFD), covering 30 square miles in Cumberland County including the areas of Back Cove, Bradleys Corner, Bramhall, Casco Bay, Cliff Island, Cushing Island, Deering Junction, Diamond Cove, East Deering, Garrison Hills Estates, Great Diamond Island, Highlands, Libbytown, Little Diamond Island, Lunts Corner, Munjoy Hill, North Deering, Oakdale, Peaks Island, Riverton, Rosemont, Stroudwater, West Bayside & West End.

Fire protection started in Portland in 1768 with the appointment of five “Fire Wards.” These men had Police powers and had the authority to order citizens to help at fire scenes. In 1787 Portland’s first organized Fire Company was formed and was named the Neptune. More companies followed: Vigilant in 1794, Cataract, Portland, Extinguisher, and later the Alert. Hand Engines came into service starting with the Deluge in 1827 and the Hydraulion and Niagra in 1830. And in 1827 the Washington Hook and Ladder became the city’s first Ladder Company. In 1831 the Portland Fire Department was officially established.

Munjoy Hill
*Rosemont / Stevens Ave Station
*North Deering
*Central / Downtown
*East Deering / Lunts Corner
*Peaks Island
*Great Diamond Island
*Cushing Island
*Cliff Island
*Little Diamond Island
*Marine Division
*Air Rescue / Portland International Jetport
*No Station Information at this time
Official Site


If you want to help us update this department with photos or information, contact us here.