Station 18 – Lowry
(District 4) Fire Station 18 is located at 8701 E. Alameda Ave. Ground breaking for Firehouse 18 took place on May 2, 2013 and dedicated March 18, 2014. Denver Fire Department took over fire service to the Lowry area, and was originally covered by the Lowry (Air Force Base) Fire Department.
2013 Pierce Velocity 500 gallon water tank / 1500 gpm pump.
RESERVE COLLAPSE RESCUE
(Ready Reserve) 1990 Ford L8000, former beer delivery truck donated to Denver Fire Department by Coors Brewing Company.
MOBILE COMMAND UNIT
Station 18 Historical Photos
The original Fire Station 18 opened for service on September 1, 1912 at 2205 Colorado Blvd. The bungalow style construction was designed to blend in with the residential neighborhoods to the east of the building. The station was built as a single story and later the attic space was converted into a dormitory where the lowest seniority members would sleep, the shortest fire pole in the Denver Fire Department was installed for quick access to the apparatus floor. Although the above photo shows several companies out front, Station 18 housed a single Engine Company through its life time. In 1984 a bond issue passed to build the new / current Station 15 which signaled the beginning of the end of 18’s. On November 8th, 1984 Engine 15 moved from their old house at 1080 Clayton Street into Station 18 and Engine 18 was disbanded. Engine 15 ran calls at Station 18 until December 21, 1987 when the current Station 15 opened. The building was given historical site status and the Denver Police Gang Unit moved in to keep the building occupied and taken care of.
ENGINE No. 18
1950 Seagrave 300 gallon water tank / 700 gpm pump.
1964 Mack C 300 gallon water tank / 1000 gpm pump.
Lowry Air Force Base was operational from 1938-1994. Lowry was home to the Air Force Academy from 1954-1958, the first base to support the Titan ICBM missile sites and provided various trainings ranging from intelligence to B-52 bombers. The base was protected by Lowry Fire Department that operated out of two stations. When the base was decommissioned there was still a large onsite population with extensive work needing to be done. Denver Fire Department placed Engine 18 in service in late 1994 at Station 1, Building 357, located at 7653 E. 1st Pl. and still stands today as a mixed use building. Station 18 was disbanded a few years later with the area falling under Station’s 19 & 14’s protection.
Engine 18 (E-49) 1976 American LaFrance Century (CE-13-4764) 500 gallon water tank / 1250 gpm pump.