Cunningham Fire Rescue
Cunningham Fire Protection District (CFPD) founded in 1950, operated 4 stations that covered 14 square miles in Arapahoe County (Colorado) including the areas of Antelope Ridge, Centennial, Cherry Creek, Denver Madras Park, Eaglecreast, Four Square Mile, Highland Canal, Los Verdes, Parkview Heights, Piney Creek, Saddle Rock Ridge, Smoky Hill, The Farm, Trail Ridge, Thunder Ridge, Valley Country Club & Willow Trace. (FDID # 00535)
Cunningham Fire Protection District was a member of the Tri-County Volunteer Firemen’s Association.
In the early 90’s, the Board of Directors of Sable Altura Fire Protection District asked the Cunningham Fire Protection District, to assume primary response duties within the Sable Altura Fire District. The volunteers of Sable Altura were still responding in a cooperative manner with Cunningham. By contract however, Cunningham was the primary fire agency for the full district. It was during this time that Denver International Airport entering service and Cunningham sold Station No. 2 located at 56th and Buckley (originally Sable Altura Fire Station 2) to the city of Denver to make room for the new highway, Pena Boulevard. Once the Cunningham contract had expired, the Board of Directors decided to return the responsibilities of emergency response back over to the Sable Altura Fire Department.
Cunningham Fire Rescue merged with South Metro Fire Rescue (Colorado) on January 1st, 2018.