Edgewater Fire Department
Edgewater Fire Department (EFD), covering 1 square miles in Jefferson County (Colorado).
Edgewater Volunteer Fire Department (EVFD) was formed in 1915 and assigned station number 13 by the State for being the thirteenth company in Colorado to organize. Contributions were solicited from residents to buy two hand pulled hose carts and fire shacks were set up at 25th Ave. & Benton Street and 25th Ave. & Gray St. Each Fire Company had a two-wheel hose cart purchased with donations.
The fire department began on December 20th, 1915, with the meeting of 20 volunteers, who became the Edgewater Fire & Hose Co. Edgewater Fire Department was chartered by the Colorado State Firemen’s Association on Feb. 21th, 1917, as the state’s 13th department. In 1927, the Fire Department became motorized by purchasing a Dodge truck for $250.00. In 1932, the Fire Department moved to 25th Ave and Gray St., which was a remodeled version of the Old Baptist Church that would later become a modern town hall. In 1973, a new fire department was dedicated at 25th Ave and Gray St. EVFD served the area from Sheridan Blvd. to Pierce St. 26th Ave., to 20th Ave.
Edgewater Fire Department was a member of the Tri-County Volunteer Firemen’s Association.
Edgewater was on frequency 154.445 (Jefferson County Fire).
The November 2012 General Election, registered voters in the City of Edgewater approved the inclusion of the Edgewater Fire Department into the Wheat Ridge Fire Protection District, ending 97 years of service. January 1st 2013 the Wheat Ridge Fire Protection District took over the Edgewater Fire District & Station 13, and re-named the fire station to Station 73. The station was closed in 2016 when Wheat Ridge merged with West Metro Fire Rescue and the area is now served by West Metro Station 1 & Station 16.