Brighton Fire Rescue District (BFRD), covering 150 square miles in Adams & Weld Counties (Colorado) including the areas of Adams County Open Space, Adams County Regional Park, Barr Lake, Bar Lake State Park, Big Dry Creek, Beebe Seep Canal, Benedict Park, Bowles Reservoir, Bootleg Reservoir, Box Elder Creek, Bromley Creek Park, Buckley Crossing, Burlington Ditch, Brighton Crossings, Bromley Farm, Buffalo Run, Campbell Park, Carmichael Park, Colorado Park, Commerce City, Eastgate, Elmwood, Fox Meadow Trail, Fulton Ditch, Government Center Natural Park, Grass Valley, Harvest Park, Hayesmount Ridge, Henderson, Horse Creek, Horse Creek Reservoir, Larado Square Village, Lochbuie, Lost Creek, Lutz Reservoir, Maggers Reservoir, Mann-Nyholt Lake, Mayeda Park, Meeks Reservoir, Merritt Ranch Park, Mile High Lakes, Overland Trail, Pawlowski Fields, Platte River Ranch Park, Platte Valley Medical Center, Prairie Center, Prairie View, Promontory, Quebec Highlands, Riverdale, Rotary Park, Second Creek, Skeel Reservoir, Smith Park, South Platte River, Speer Canal, Stouffer Reservoirs, Talon Pointe, Third Creek, Thomas Donelson Park, Thompson Ditch, Village Garden, Village Outlook, Wattenburg & Water Tower Park. (FDID #00115)
Brighton Fire Rescue District was formed in 1888 as the Fire Hose Company. In 1890 the J.C. Twombly – Hook and Ladder Company # 1 was formed. In 1898 both companies merged, forming one company (Hose & Ladder Company). On July 5th, 1938 the department was legally incorporated as the Brighton Volunteer Fire
Department. In 1961 the City of Brighton determined it would no longer support fire protection outside the city boundaries, and rural residents formed Brighton Rural Fire District providing fire protection that covered 196 square miles. In 1980 the two entered into a joint process evaluating the working agreement between the two entities as Brighton Fire Protection District.
In 1987 the voters of Adams County approved the sale of 44 square miles of land to the City and County of Denver for a new airport (DIA). The site of the new airport would occupy nearly 40 square miles of the Fire District with the completed facility to be “bordered” on three sides by the District. The area of the District was reduced by those 40 square miles of area. Due to construction delays, Denver International Airport was not formally opened until February 28, 1995. Because Denver was not able to complete a fire station at the Airport quickly enough, Brighton Fire continued fire service on the airport site until 1992. In 1999 the district changed its name to the Greater Brighton Fire Protection District. The name was changed in 2011 to the Brighton Fire Rescue District. Additional history information was provided by Brighton Fire Rescue District.
Brighton Fire Rescue District is part of the North Area Technical Rescue Team.
Brighton Fire Rescue District is dispatched by Adcom 911.
Station 51 – Brighton
Station 52 – Water Tower Park
Station 53 – Barr Lake
Station 54 – Great Rock
Station 55 – Todd Creek
Headquarters / Command
Patches / Logos
If you want to help us update this department with photos or information, contact us here.