Littleton Fire Rescue (LFR) covered 102.5 square miles in Arapahoe, Douglas, & Jefferson Counties, providing emergency response services and life safety education programs to the citizens of the City of Littleton, the Littleton Fire Protection District, and the Highlands Ranch Metropolitan District. (FDID # 00560)
Littleton Fire Rescue was organized in 1890 as the John G. Lilley Hook & Ladder Company. In 1892, the company reorganized as the Littleton Hose Company # 1, added Company # 2 in 1901, and later changed to the Littleton Volunteer Fire Department. In 1948, the Littleton Fire Protection District was formed and operated with the City of Littleton as one department. In 1960, growth prompted the department abandoned the volunteer system and hired its first paid employees. In 1974, the department became the first fire department in the state with fire department based paramedic services. Highlands Ranch Metro District began contracting fire and emergency medical services with the City of Littleton in 1979.
Littleton Fire Rescue took over fire & medical protection for Lockheed Martin’s Waterton Canyon campus in 2017 from the Lockheed Martin Fire & Emergency Services.
Littleton Fire Rescue operated their own fire communications center until the morning of December 18, 2017 when dispatching services were assumed by South Metro Fire Rescue’s MetCom (Metropolitan Area Communications Center). At one point, Littleton Fire Rescue Communications Center operated as the South Metro Communications Center and provided dispatch services for numerous departments in the South Metro Denver area.
Littleton Fire Rescue merged with South Metro Fire Rescue on January 1st, 2019.